EXAMPLES OF BUSINESSES TO APPROACH
restaurants/diners, coffee shops, bakeries, grocery stores, wine shops, gift shops, hardware stores, furniture stores, clothing stores, jewelers, art galleries, book stores, florists, hobby shops, automotive stores, auto maintenance shops, pet stores, other specialty shops, lawn care, pest control, pet groomers, kennels, hair stylists, nail salons, dentists, eye doctors, massage therapists, personal instructors, tickets to attractions and other recreational or entertainment events.
APPROACHING BUSINESS MANAGERS/OWNERS – SCRIPT
- “Hello, my name is Stacy and I am a neighbor with St. James Episcopal Church.”
- “Is the manager here today?”
If the answer is “no” . . .
- “Oh, I’m sorry. What is their name?”
- “Would you please make sure they receive this important note?”
- “Thank you so much! And what is your name?”
- “I really appreciate your help.”
If the answer is “yes” . . .
- “Great, what is your manager’s name?
- “May I speak with them? I just need a moment of their time.”
- “Hello, my name is Stacy.”
- “I am with St. James Episcopal Church at 1101 N. Broadway.”
- “I just wanted to introduce myself and ask you to consider helping us help our neighbors and promote your business at the same time.”
- “The details are described on the Neighbor Day card inside this envelope.”
- “Basically, we are asking you to consider donating something we can include in our fundraising auction to help us raise money to provide essential services to neighbors in need.”
- “I don’t want to take too much of your time right now.”
- “I just hope you will take a moment to review the card and get back to me when it’s convenient for you.”
BIDDER REGISTRATION & VALIDATION
- Neighbors complete the REGISTRATION Form at the website.
- Neighbor Day Crew receives an email alert.
- Neighbor Day Crew assigns a password to the requested username.
- Password format: first name initial, full last name, month & day; all small letters (e.g. U= MissFitz | P=lfitzpatrick0915)
- Neighbor Day Crew calls registrant to congratulate them and reveal the assigned password.
- Password may be modified if registrant expresses a preference.
- Voicemail may be left with username & password, if necessary.
- Neighbor Day Crew immediately creates username & password at site. (after phone call)
- If person to person contact was established, Role = Bidder St James (if they are a St. James member) or Bidder at Large (if they are not a St. James member).
- If person to person contact was not established, Role = Bidder.
- Neighbor Day Crew places follow up phone calls to unconfirmed users.
- Status of unconfirmed users upgraded upon confirmation.
WINNER NOTIFICATION (Saturday night)
- Integrity of all “high bids” for all items reviewed by Neighbor Day Crew.
- Items sorted by “Winners” and combined with contact information.
- Winners called and informed:
- Items: names, item #’s, bid total
- Payment Options: (cash or credit card, exact change, sorry no checks)
- Location: 1101 N. Broadway; Parish Hall Door (please remain outside)
- Pick up Times (following week): Mon – Fri 10 am – 2 pm & 5 pm – 7 pm
- Call Ahead 865-523-5687 to make an appointment for pickup.
- Speak with Marilyn or leave a message for her.
- Bring box(s) for easy transport.
WINNER PICKUP PROTOCOL
- Winner Manifest Sheets : winner name, items won, $ amount, SJ affiliation.
- Inventory sorted into lots according to Winner Manifest Sheets.
- Larger lots may be assembled “packed” into boxes.
- Neighbor Day Crew handle to ALL pickup appointments.
- Payments will occur at the Parish Hall exterior door.
- Winners remain outside.
- Winners sign Winner Manifest Sheets on a clipboard to confirm pickup.
- Additional donations recorded on Winner Manifest Sheets.
- Winners receive a preprinted copy of their Manifest Sheet as a payment receipt.
- Payments delivered to Business Manager each day.